Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Behaviorism in Practice

Technology is one of the most important aspects of the 21st Century classroom. Think about your everyday life. Now think about what your life would be like if you did not have access to your cell phone, I-pod or any other technology that you cannot do without. That is what a classroom would be without technology.
Students in today’s world need to be engaged in their learning. Students also need to know that the effort they put into their learning has a direct link to that learning.  Using technology such as spread sheets and other data collecting software can help a student chart and reinforce the effort, homework, or practice they use in successful learning.” In the book, Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, there are two generalizations made about homework and practice: first, mastering a skill or process requires a fair amount of focused practice, and second, while practicing, students should adapt and shape what they have learned. (Pitler, 2007). Homework and practice is repetition and that is drill and practice which is part of the Behaviorism Theory. The instructional strategy of reinforcing effort enhances students’ understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement by addressing their attitudes and beliefs about learning.” (Pitler, 2007). When looking at Behaviorist Learning Theory, Dr. Michael Orey mentions that this theory revolves around operant conditioning, reinforcement, or punishment. (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).
While reading about this theory and trying to envision how technology would work with Behavior Learning Theory, I decided that the two work well together even if it is just a tutorial. I found watching the tutorials on power point at: http://www.internet4classrooms.com/on-line.htm, to be very informative.


References; Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program four. Behaviorist learning theory [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Pitler,H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., Malenowski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. 

4 comments:

  1. It is difficult for students today to come into the classroom and be forced to live without technology. This is why integrating technology in the classroom is necessary. Tutorials are great technology for helping students learn or practice skills necessary for learning. What other technology do you use in your classroom? Do you reinforce effort? Do you ever use technology that would be considered a behaviorism theory use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    When talking about homework and providing immediate feedback on lets say math, do you have a way to make sure they are not learning something the wrong way? You said, "Homework and practice is repetition and that is drill and practice which is part of the Behaviorism Theory (Liebl, 2010)." I was just wondering because until last year, I had no practical way to make sure my students were practicing their homework perfectly. I started using a "solution station," which is just a place where they can "double check" their work for after they are finished. Our math curriculum is a spiraling curriculum, so most of the practice is review, which is great for homework. I have found the students do better when they get that immediate feedback on class work as well. This has also been instrumental in freeing my time up in class to help those that really need my help as opposed to those that just need to hear that they did it correctly (even though they already know they have it correct). The students get to put a mark by each correct answer.
    I also cannot wait to use some of the resources given for independent practice on laptops. My students will have fun playing the “games,” while I know they will be receiving immediate feedback.
    Emily Million

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly,
    I use mostly an old overhead projector, VCR player,DVD player and I share a Document Projector with 4 other art teachers. I am desperately trying to get an LCD Projector in my room. I do reinforce effort as much as possible with my class sizes. Sometimes this is done on a whole group or small group basis.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    I do not think there is a wrong way or a right way of learning things because everyone learns differently. As an art teacher and folk artist, I see things differently because I am left handed. My mother tried to teach me how to crochet as a child. She kept telling me I was doing it wrong because it looked wrong to her until she looked at the finished product which looked like hers. I had to translate what she showed me to a left handed persons perspective.
    A subject like math may be different but art people tend to see things differently.

    dIANE

    ReplyDelete