According to the text, the instructional strategy of cooperative learning focuses on having the students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning. (Pitler, 2007). When explained in this way, you realize that you have been using this strategy in one way or another for your whole teaching career.
When I reflect on all the different strategies that can be incorporated into education, I realize that at one time or another I have used them all, have combined them, interchanged them, and even discarded parts of some. What is the best way for learners to learn? I do not think there is one strategy that is better than another. The best strategy is the one where everyone learns and for everyone that strategy is different.
Cooperative learning used with technology is probably one of the more successful strategies for the learner. Students who learn from each other tend to learn more and if you combine technology into their learning, their learning becomes global and far reaching. I like to think of cooperative learning in the same light as folk art. In folk art, you learn through observation and by doing. The more you do it the better you should get. The same could be said for learning. You observe, you start doing and the more you work with it the more you will learn.
I feel this way about the new technology we worked with this week. Voice Thread. I found this to be one of the more difficult technological pieces that we have worked with so far. One of my difficulties was my computer working very slowly. It took over 15 minutes just for my photos to download. I was afraid of doing much more than I did in fear of a total melt down.
This is the URL for what I did: http://voicethread.com/share/1551207/
It is based on the problem my school is having on recruiting students to go on extended field trips that are offered through the Gilder-Lehrman Institute of American Studies. Its purpose is to get more students to join in the fun and learning.
References;
Pitler,H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., Malenowski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
Diane,
ReplyDeleteI had trouble too with Voicethread at first. I had trouble loading a Webspiration into it. I was just wondering of what kind of cooperative learning you use in your Art class with technology?
-Matt
Matt,
ReplyDeleteI use pair share and we do small group discussions when critiqing work.
Diane
Diane,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with Voicethread. I actually felt like it was one of the easier ones to use. If I would have tried it at school, however, I very much doubt if it would have been as easy for me. I very much enjoyed the pictures that you included on your Voicethread.
I agree with your comment that students who learn from each other tend to learn more.
Cathy
I like your comparison to folk art. It is true that the more you do something and work with others doing something the more you learn. I have found that I personally learn more by working with others on something and teaching it to others than to just read about it or figure it out on my own. I've found this especially true with technology. I learn new technology better through tutorials or someone working me through it than learning through trial and error. I really remember new things after I teach it to someone.
ReplyDeleteCathy,
ReplyDeleteI am sure that my problem was with our school server. The next day I had no problems looking at my Voice Thread or anything else I did that day. Our school system did not buy quality equipment. We are constantly getting email about deleting files because the server is getting full.
I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos. Hopefully they will help recruit more students to join our next extended trip.
Diane
Kimberly,
ReplyDeleteSometimes just having someone to discuss problems or ideas with can be helpful also.
Diane